We take credit card and personal information very seriously. Both Shopify and Authorize.net do as well, which is why we've decided to use those platforms for Bloom.
Shopify and customer information:
- Shopify does not store credit cards. What?? That's right. Since Shopify doesn't support recurring payments it doesn't make sense for them to take on the overhead of credit card storage.
- If your customers purchase wine or merchandise from your website, they will have to enter their credit card info every time they place an order, even if they are a club member. Remember, only a small percentage of your purchases are directly from your website. The majority of your orders will be created from wine club or POS purchases.
- Shopify does store other customer information, including their name, email, and addresses, plus their email marketing preference.
Authorize.net and customer information: Authorize.net is the payment gateway we use for Bloom. It allows us to store customers credit cards using 2048-bit RSA keys, which means the data they retain is practically impossible to decrypt. They take credit card security to an extreme.
- When a membership is created the member's credit card is stored in Authorize.net as a profile in the Customer Information Manager
- Credit Cards are then used each time wine clubs are processed
- Members can log into Bloom and update their billing and credit card information. The data is sent to Authorize.net in a secure, PCI-compliant manner.